As I’ve mentioned before, I have an autoimmune disease called Rheumatic Fever. It causes extreme fatigue and chronic joint pain, among other things. I’ve always tried to stay as active as possible, but I wanted something more to help with endurance, strength and stamina. I figure this kind of workout can also be good for beginners or people who don’t like to exercise. This workout routine is not about losing weight so keep that in mind if that’s what you’re looking for.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- jump rope (or you can just jump in place)
- 1 or 2 dumbbells (I’m currently using 1 8lb)
- thigh master (or a resistance/pilates ring)
- punching bag or mat
- sparring gloves (you can just shadow box if you don’t have a bag or gloves)
The circuit is made up of 12 different moves followed by 10 min of cardio. It takes about 30-40 min depending on my energy level that day. I do this 3 days a week. The reps/time limit I have here is what I’ve built up to since starting a little over a year ago. You can use a lighter/heavier weight or do more or less reps of each move depending on what works for you.
- jump rope 40 reps
- arm curls 40 each
- thigh master 30 reps
- run in place (lift knees high!) 40 lifts each
- shoulder press 40 each
- thigh master again 30 reps
- crunches 40 (I use a balance ball so it’s easier on my back)
- squats 40
- triceps press 15 each arm, 15 together
- hip lifts 25 (these are really hard on my hips so I can’t do very many)
- calf lifts 50
- plank 30 seconds (or however long I can depending on my energy)
For the cardio, I usually do 10 min of boxing, done in increments of 50 hits so I don’t tire myself out to fast. I’m considering getting a small bag, but because of the apartment I used to live in , I got an mma wall-mounted mat and some padded sparring gloves. I’ve always wanted to join a boxing gym, but because I’m really limited it what I do, I just started with this. It’s really fun too! It’s a great way to get out frustration and feel kick ass. I’m getting a weighted hula hoop soon so I will probably switch on and off between doing that and boxing depending on the day.